Top 10 for 2022 - grown ups




 I have read so many amazing books this year. This is a round up of my top ten reads (for grown ups) of 2022.  I have gathered together the reviews from the year and put them here in one easy to access place. Happy reading! 

Disclaimer: I will be cheating and creating separate lists for audiobooks, young adult and children!  

So I’m no particular order here they are: 

 The Long Weekend by Gilly Macmillan 


This was one of the first books I read in 202 and it’s one of the ones that has stayed with me the most. I still remember the drama and tension. 


The blurb of this book grabbed my attention straight away. As soon as I started reading in knew I wasn’t going to be disappointed. After only 30 pages and me raving about the plot to my husband he had also declared it would make a great film. (High praise from someone who isn’t really interested in anything I read) - I have since found out it is indeed inspired by a film. 


The book moves at a fast pace. There isn’t a moment that drags and with each page you are pulled further in to the secrets of each of the characters. 


The story is told through the eyes of each of the characters. There are no clunky subtitles to separate the sections and this helps the flow. It is obvious when the point of view changes but it flows seamlessly.


We start by meeting the Elliotts who own the farm land. John battling dementia is not happy about them letting out the converted barn. Maggie however, knows it’s their only lifeline if they are to stay on their land as John’s condition worsens. Told with heart and compassion it is an honest look at life for those dealing with such a cruel demon. Could the visions of shapeshifters and John’s mysterious outings have anything to do with what is happening to the visitors at the barn? 


The main story centres around a group of friends (wives and husbands) who are staying in the middle of nowhere for a long weekend. 

Ruth (married to Toby) has her own secrets and is battling demons that the others don’t know about.

Emily (married to Paul) is younger than the others and very much seems to be an outsider. 

Jayne (married to Mark) seems to be in control of everything, however there is something she is hiding from the start. 


All three wives start the weekend annoyed that their husbands have coincidentally been unable to join the trip for the first night away. Can that really be a coincidence or is something else going on? 


The final character from the group is Edie(along with her daughter Imogen). Edie’s husband has recently died and she is not joining the group on the trip. Her presence is however very much felt when a very suspicious and cruel note threatening the lives of the husbands who are not there is left at the barn. Simply signed with an E - the ladies are sure it’s a horrible hoax but they can’t be sure and inch by inch they begin to unravel. 


Secrets are revealed dripping through the text with each new paragraph. Twists in the plot keep you guessing and desperately clawing on to find the answers - even when you know you should have put it down and gone to sleep long ago. 


Suspense is high and tension grows quickly throughout the story. I won’t give any spoilers but this really is a must read book. 

The Marlow Murder Club 

By Robert Thorogood


A fantastic piece of writing that pulls you in and keeps you invested in the characters as you discover more about them. 

I thoroughly enjoyed The Marlow Murder Club. The chapters flew by (I liked that they weren’t too long - this is a personal preference but I find it helps me get in to a book) 

I became very invested in Judith, Suzie and Becks as characters. Their blossoming friendship (with its ups and downs) was heart warming. Each of them needs the others in their lives for some reason and I couldn’t help but will them to solve their differences or let the other lead them astray slightly. Their antics made me laugh out loud. I could just imagine them on the high street (when I’m Judith’s age I want to behave like that). 

The plot of the story was excellent - plenty to keep you guessing and there were a few points where indefinitely believed I had worked out who the actual killer was only to find out that I was completely wrong. 

I was very late to the party reading this book but I can not wait for the next instalment!

Should You Keep A Secret 

By Lisa Darcy


This book had my attention from the moment I read the blurb. 

How do the secrets we keep effect those around us? And does everyone have a secret they would rather keep hidden? 

The story is very well written - you are drawn in to the characters lives. It is told through the perspectives of the main characters Stella, Jesse and Carly as well as Louisa (Jesse’s sister). Each part weaves seamlessly into the next and the swap between viewpoints gives slightly different sides to the story that open it up and make you question what your own response would be. 

I particularly liked Stella and her relationship with her mother in law and ex husband. I could imagine the conversations between them, the subtle facial expressions rolling of eyes. Even in the moments of seriousness I felt the happiness between them that I think we should all look for. 

The story line was definitely a gripping one and there were definite moments where I laughed. However, Lisa Darcy addresses some serious issues throughout the book - all of which add to the story but are managed well and with respect. 

I have to be honest - I wasn’t expecting the initial big reveal about Steve to be quite so - well revealing. It did however get my attention and goes to show you never know what’s happening behind closed doors. 

My only regret for the book is I wish we had got to know Dot a little more - there are hints that she too has secrets from her past and I would like to have explored her story more. Perhaps there’s another book there. 

Thank you Lisa for letting me enjoy another of your wonderful books. 

Trigger warnings: mental health, controlling relationship behaviour, pregnancy loss, drug use.

The People Next Door 

By Tony Parsons


Told through the perspective of Lana and Roman this book follows their move to the idyllic Gardens. Country living at its best. A new start following a traumatic experience in the city.  Surely it’s the fresh start that anyone would relish? 


Lana isn’t convinced that it’s the place for them but Roman is there to try and talk her round. But when she discovers a panic room in the house and finds out about the tragic end to the family that lived there before them Lana starts to question their new neighbours and what they are hiding. 


Soon she discovers that her own husband has been keeping secrets from her and that their new neighbours will go to any lengths to protect themselves. 


This is a gripping story that takes many turns. Murder, conspiracy and doomsday fanatics - this book really does have it all. There are moments when you start to believe the stories that Lana is being told but Lana is strong and she is determined to find the truth and get justice. Will she succeed? that remains to be seen. 


Definitely one to add to your to be read pile. 


Gavin and The Body Snatchers 

By Michael A Duffy 



I simply loved this book - I didn’t want the drama to end. 


A cross between mafia crime and pure slap stick - the characters really draw you in and I couldn’t help becoming invested in them and their plans. 


Gavin Hargreaves is down on his luck, is entrepreneurial spirit hasn’t really seen him right, he’s found himself in a job where his boss will do anything to make life miserable for others for his own enjoyment and his wife has gone off with a lower league football player. 


Things couldn’t get worse - could they? When Gavin’s son shows him a new comedy app ‘Disposals Inc’ on his phone it seems like a great laugh to pretend they can get rid of the treacherous Bryce Brimstone (horrible boss and horrible brother). After all it’s only a game! 


But when Disposals Inc take on the job their crack team of professionals come up against an unlikely gang of assassins. 


This begins a comedy of errors that had me laughing out loud. 


All of the characters in this story were marvellous in their own way but I think Bob was my favourite character of all - he made me think of my own relatives (not that they used to go around shooting people or with sticks of dynamite). He has such a care free charm about him. Stuck in his ways but with hysterical, if not some times disastrous outcomes. 


I can’t not imaging how the author came up with the plot for this story. There are so many elements and events in the story yet they all play a part and each one is somehow linked to more events. Nothing is a wasted comment in the story and I love how the author uses narration to hear the characters inner thoughts. 


I could not help imagine the story as a slap stick film from days gone by and think it would be pure genius as a stage play. A cautionary tale about greed and being careful what you wish for. 


I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for something to take their mind off the stress of day to day. Take a trip to Drabbleton with this unlikely band of heroes. 


Clara’s Secret Garden 

By Rosie Green 


I should say here that I only discovered The Little Duck pond Cafe this year and I have loved all of the ones I’ve read. I have picked Clara for my top ten but (really I mean them all) 

If you are already a fan of the ‘Little Duck Pond Cafe’ books that this latest title (the first in a trilogy) will not disappoint. If you are new to the Duck Pond then jump on in because you will be so glad you did. The joy about this series is that you don’t have to start at the beginning. Clara’s Secret Garden is a beautiful story in its own right. 

As always the characters are full of life and step off the page as you read. Pulling you in to their world of hopes, dreams, love and missed love. I often find myself cheering for certain characters and this book was no different. Clara gives her all to hold her dysfunctional family together. Often with little to no thanks. But it’s about time something happened for her - I was so desperate for things to work out with Rory - young love rekindled? But then there was Shaun - a character I loved instantly, then questioned and then fell back in love with. 

If you are after a perfect feel good read that reads easily then this book is for you. Follow Clara’s adventure in the next two books and you will not be disappointed! 

Counterfeit 

By Kirstin Chen 




This was on my to be read pile for far too long. Commitments and the chaos of work took over causing a reading slump and I found myself reading for necessity. Oh how that changed when I started reading Counterfeit. I wish I started it sooner because once I was a couple of pages in I didn’t want to put it down. It read so easily (not an easy thing to achieve) - the plot flowed and the characters became so real I could see my self there with them. 

This is a book written in parts - the story of two ladies (I’d call them acquaintances rather that friends) Ava and Winnie.

Part one is told from Ava’s perspective. What I really loved was that it is written as a monologue - Ava is clearly talking to a detective and although she repeats some of the questions she is asked it is just her telling her story. I’ve never seen this done before but it worked so well. 
I found myself feeling sorry for Ava. Stuck in a marriage where her husband doesn’t appear to support her much, a toddler who is struggling with communicating and the inevitable behaviour that comes with that frustration (not to mention her feelings of rejection that her son seems more comfortable with the nanny). But then an old roommate appears. Winnie is less likeable from the start. Clearly wanting more than she has and not afraid to do what it takes to get it. Poor Ava doesn’t stand a chance. As my feelings of pity for Ava grew so my feelings of mistrust grew towards Winnie. 

Part two - brought a whole new perspective. This part is partially told through the eyes of Winnie. And only a few pages in I suddenly found myself doubting everything I had heard from Ava. But it couldn’t be. This is just Winnie manipulating another situation I thought (tried to convince myself even). But there I was pulled straight back - desperate to read on and find out if I’d been the victim of some con act by Ava. Made to feel sorry for her when in fact she wasn’t the victim. 

I won’t put any spoilers in - you will have to read the book to find out what the truth is. I will tell you one thing - you will not regret it. 

This is definitely a 5 star read. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

A Tidy Ending

By Joanna Cannon 



Oh my goodness words fail me after reading this book. I just can’t express how brilliant it is. How the characters are developed so that you imagine them so vividly. The suspense and tension as the story unfolds. 

I love the flash backs to what happened in Linda’s childhood and the brilliant use of the Now chapters. All of them meshing together to lead you down the path to a conclusion about everything that has happened. But do we see what we want to see or do we see the truth? 

I want to shout about this book for everyone to hear - this really is a beautifully written masterpiece!

Meredith Alone 

By Claire Alexander 



I have read so many wonderful reviews about Meredith and I couldn’t agree more. 

Meredith is a character who you can love, embrace and grow with. 

This book is full of heart break but also hope, laughter and joy. 

Joining Meredith on her journey to overcome her struggles was emotional- I laughed and I cried on several occasions. 

The overwhelming feeling though was hope which grew as the story progressed. 

I would definitely recommend this book. 

Trigger warnings: sexual assault, family trauma, abuse

Every Little Secret 

By Sarah Clarke 





The characters in this book were very well written and the way that the story unfolded with each chapter kept you guessing where it was going. The use of flash backs was equally well used especially as they often lead you down the wrong thought path - keeping the truth hidden for as long as possible. 

It also meant that my opinion of the characters was ever changing as I learnt new things and also questioned what I had thought previously. 

An excellent plot. 

Trigger warnings - abduction, domestic violence, sexual assault, addiction






Comments