Counterfeit

 Counterfeit 



By Kirstin Chen 

The Borough Press 


This was on my to be read pile for far too long. Commitments and the chaos of work took over causing a reading slump and I found myself reading for necessity. Oh how that changed when I started reading Counterfeit. I wish I started it sooner because once I was a couple of pages in I didn’t want to put it down. It read so easily (not an easy thing to achieve) - the plot flowed and the characters became so real I could see my self there with them. 


This is a book written in parts - the story of two ladies (I’d call them acquaintances rather that friends) Ava and Winnie.


Part one is told from Ava’s perspective. What I really loved was that it is written as a monologue - Ava is clearly talking to a detective and although she repeats some of the questions she is asked it is just her telling her story. I’ve never seen this done before but it worked so well. 

I found myself feeling sorry for Ava. Stuck in a marriage where her husband doesn’t appear to support her much, a toddler who is struggling with communicating and the inevitable behaviour that comes with that frustration (not to mention her feelings of rejection that her son seems more comfortable with the nanny). But then an old roommate appears. Winnie is less likeable from the start. Clearly wanting more than she has and not afraid to do what it takes to get it. Poor Ava doesn’t stand a chance. As my feelings of pity for Ava grew so my feelings of mistrust grew towards Winnie. 


Part two - brought a whole new perspective. This part is partially told through the eyes of Winnie. And only a few pages in I suddenly found myself doubting everything I had heard from Ava. But it couldn’t be. This is just Winnie manipulating another situation I thought (tried to convince myself even). But there I was pulled straight back - desperate to read on and find out if I’d been the victim of some con act by Ava. Made to feel sorry for her when in fact she wasn’t the victim. 


I won’t put any spoilers in - you will have to read the book to find out what the truth is. I will tell you one thing - you will not regret it. 


This is definitely a 5 star read. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️



Comments