The Trust by M.H.Eccleston

 The Trust by M.H.Eccleston



I love a good cozy crime and this definitely fits the bill. 


Astrid is a very strong character - part of her charm is that to start with she’s slightly unlikeable - if it weren’t for the fact that we know what she’s been through we would probably view her as stuck up and self righteous. I’m pretty sure that’s how she’s viewed by the majority of people in Hanbury when she first arrives.


As the story moves on we start to see her soften and I will say that I quickly grew to like her a lot. I became invested in her future and wished for her to find a new place with people who would treat her well and be her friends.  I love the way she stands up to Simon and the tensions between Astrid and Cobb add a little something to keep you on your toes. 


The story starts with Astrid (an art conservator) starting a new job at Sherborne Hall - an English Trust Property with its own secrets and charms. 


Flash backs are used well to set the back story and I found the style of writing flowed well. It was a relaxed book which was easy to read - a great bonus and not an easy thing to achieve. 


There are a host of characters in the book and they all have their unique charms. I particularly loved Harold and Margaret (two of the volunteers at Sherborne Hall). Their conversations had me chuckling to myself as I read and I could hear the tone in Margaret’s voice everytime she expressed her opinion on someone or something. I don’t wish to generalise but I really hope that this book is a true reflection on the lives of volunteers at heritage homes across the country. The thought of houses full of Margarets and Harold’s just make me smile. 


When Astrid discovers a body in the grounds she decides that she needs to investigate. Her boss Cressida seems only interested in preserving the reputation of The English Trust and Astrid has little faith in the local policeman. Could she be the one to crack the case? 


The plot quickly thickens as there are more deaths and accidents not to mention a fake painting and the appearance of Simon( Astrid’s husband). 


Can Astrid and her new friends solve the case and will Astrid move on to the new life that her uncle would have wanted? 

You’ll have to read the book to find out but what I will tell you is that you won’t regret it.  A perfect mix of cozy crime and romance. 

Comments