The Convict’s Wife @lovebookstours

The Convict’s Wife by Libby Ashworth 


I am delighted that I was able to be part of the @Lovebookstour for this book. 

@elizashworth @canelo_co @KellyALacey @lovebookstours 

@igbooktours


Review:

This book is not the kind of book I would normally pick for myself (I spend most of my time reading children’s books or murder mysteries) I was intrigued by the blurb - a women on a mission, betrayal and someone who sounded too stubborn to let men stand in her way. The book did not disappoint and I feel I have been converted to historical fiction. 


From the very beginning the story takes shape. There’s no fussing around - the author gets straight to the action and you are pulled in instantly. 


I found the characters to be very believable- I could picture them as I read - their mannerisms and actions. I felt strongly for Molly - a women made of strong stuff who will not be defeated. Thomas pulled at my heart strings - a man who made a foolish decision and paid the price for another’s jealousy. Then there was Isaac Crompton - a man so easy to dislike and so slimy. Just the thought of him made me uneasy and the tension between him and Molly was thick. 


I enjoyed this book because it was an easy read. The chapters just seemed to fly by - before I’d realised I’d read 1/3 of the book in one sitting. I didn’t want to put it down - each chapter brought a new glimmer of hope or a new dash of sorrow. I found myself willing good news for Molly and Thomas yet at the same time that part of me set in reality was fearing that they would only get disappointment. 


Having finished the book I was particularly moved by the authors notes to find out that the story is based somewhat in reality and the letters of a real life Thomas. The knowledge that this really was the reality for families made it even more gripping. 

I would highly recommend this book and look forward to the next book by Libby in the series.

Blurb: 

Can she keep her family together?

When Molly Holden’s husband, Thomas, is convicted in 1812 of being a Luddite on the word of a secret informer, he is sentenced to be transported to Australia. Left with their baby daughter, Molly must find work to survive.

But the man who informed on Thomas is a former suitor of Molly’s, and Isaac believes that with Thomas out of the way she will return to him…  

Yet Molly is determined to join her husband and find a way to pay for passage, all the while trying to stay one step ahead of Isaac’s nefarious interferences. But will it be enough to cross the ocean and be reunited with her beloved Thomas?

Based on real events, this is an inspiring Lancashire saga of one woman’s journey of love, family and survival. Perfect for fans of Dilly Court, Kitty Neale and June Francis.




I received a advance digital copy of this book in return for an honest review.  

Comments