February Roundup - Books I’ve Read and Loved This Month

 


Another fantastic month for new releases and some quite frankly brilliant writing. I’ve read some brilliant books this month and here is the round up of the ones I’ve loved. 

The Long Weekend 

by Gilly Macmillan 



The blurb of this book grabbed my attention straight away. As soon as I started reading in knew I wasn’t going to be disappointed. After only 30 pages and me raving about the plot to my husband he had also declared it would make a great film. (High praise from someone who isn’t really interested in anything I read) - I have since found out it is indeed inspired by a film. 


The book moves at a fast pace. There isn’t a moment that drags and with each page you are pulled further in to the secrets of each of the characters. 


The story is told through the eyes of each of the characters. There are no clunky subtitles to separate the sections and this helps the flow. It is obvious when the point of view changes but it flows seamlessly.


We start by meeting the Elliotts who own the farm land. John battling dementia is not happy about them letting out the converted barn. Maggie however, knows it’s their only lifeline if they are to stay on their land as John’s condition worsens. Told with heart and compassion it is an honest look at life for those dealing with such a cruel demon. Could the visions of shapeshifters and John’s mysterious outings have anything to do with what is happening to the visitors at the barn? 


The main story centres around a group of friends (wives and husbands) who are staying in the middle of nowhere for a long weekend. 

Ruth (married to Toby) has her own secrets and is battling demons that the others don’t know about.

Emily (married to Paul) is younger than the others and very much seems to be an outsider. 

Jayne (married to Mark) seems to be in control of everything, however there is something she is hiding from the start. 


All three wives start the weekend annoyed that their husbands have coincidentally been unable to join the trip for the first night away. Can that really be a coincidence or is something else going on? 


The final character from the group is Edie(along with her daughter Imogen). Edie’s husband has recently died and she is not joining the group on the trip. Her presence is however very much felt when a very suspicious and cruel note threatening the lives of the husbands who are not there is left at the barn. Simply signed with an E - the ladies are sure it’s a horrible hoax but they can’t be sure and inch by inch they begin to unravel. 


Secrets are revealed dripping through the text with each new paragraph. Twists in the plot keep you guessing and desperately clawing on to find the answers - even when you know you should have put it down and gone to sleep long ago. 


Suspense is high and tension grows quickly throughout the story. I won’t give any spoilers but this really is a must read book. 


The Major Minor Murders

 by Jim McGhee 



Another gripping story from Jim McGhee. DI Barney Mains is moved on from life with the police and is quite content to be painting and enjoying the warmth of Nice. That is until he is abruptly interrupted by the emergence of his niece Abbey - the daughter of his estranged brother Ricky. 


The story centres around Ricky who has been accused of murdering his mentor - artist Anton Hass. Ricky is missing and Abbey fears he has also been murdered. With the police not appearing to do any actual investigating she is prepared to take matters in to her own hands with the help of her uncle. 


I was delighted to see Barney and Ffiona reunited albeit with a slight change in dynamic and an added tension at times due to their changed roles. Further welcome returns were Jean-Luc and Shona. Both of whom are well loved characters from the first book. 


There were several twists in the story which I had not expected - the biggest of these being the ending. This was a particularly interesting twist and one that added to the story. It’s so easy to end on a the problem was solved and the world was right again. I liked the extra drama! 


As with Jim’s previous book this one strikes a cord with modern politics - an element of one rule for them and one for us sits alongside the clear idea that those in power will do all they can to avoid being scrutinised. Very fitting for the current climate. 


These books are easy reads (which is not an easy thing to write) and I look forward to more adventures with Barney, Ffiona, Shona and Jean-Luc. 


I was lucky to read an advance copy and have provided my review voluntarily. 



The Wax Artist 

by Sarah L King 



Ailsa Rose has a gift - she can see the past, the dead and the future. When her friend Jane (maid at the Andrews’ house) tells the Misses Andrews of Ailsa’s abilities they invite her round to do a reading. Uneasy about the affair Ailsa attends but when she receives a vision from Pierre (a spirit boy whom she was friends with in Paris) things take a drastic turn. 


The initial chapters are dotted with snippets from Ailsa’s past - you are left wandering where this young lady has come from. Clearly there was at some point wealth when she lived in Paris - but how has she come to be alone in Edinburgh working in a tavern? 


Slowly throughout the book her past is revealed to us. Ailsa is a likeable character, kind to her neighbours and concerned for others. She may not have much but she makes the best of her lot. When Angus, a guardsman who frequents the tavern where she works, offers to take her to the new exhibit of Madame Tussaud’s wax figures she is unable to say no. Whilst there though her visions overcome her and she ends up confiding her past and abilities to the caring young man. 


I felt myself caught up in both Ailsa and Angus as characters. I could picture them in my mind and wanted good things for them. Angus is a caring character who is instantly likeable. From the first mention of him I had high hopes that he and Ailsa might become more than mere acquaintances through the tavern. He shows a kindness and understanding to those around him that I felt would be good for her. 


There are several side plots within this book.

Ailsa’s elderly neighbour Alice features heavily at the start. Appearing to suffer from dementia and stuck in the past looking for her daughter. She is a heartfelt character who you can’t help but feel for. 

Ailsa’s mother also plays heavily throughout the story - usually through the mind of Ailsa herself. Reminding her daughter of how to be and who she is. Offering that advice which is already known but you don’t want to hear. 


The main story is focused on Clara Andrews and Ailsa’s vision regarding her future. Unsure at first what to do about it as the story unfolds Ailsa discovers more information and sets out to try to protect Clara. But her actions - however well intended - lead to danger and trouble for more that just Clara. 


I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was gripping in so many ways and had everything you could want. Mystery, danger, romance, tension and happiness. 


I was delighted that I could read a copy as part of the book tour with Love Books Tours and can not recommend it highly enough. 


I sincerely hope for a second book in the series before too long. 



The Trust 

by M H Eccleston 



I love a good cozy crime and this definitely fits the bill. 


Astrid is a very strong character - part of her charm is that to start with she’s slightly unlikeable - if it weren’t for the fact that we know what she’s been through we would probably view her as stuck up and self righteous. I’m pretty sure that’s how she’s viewed by the majority of people in Hanbury when she first arrives.


As the story moves on we start to see her soften and I will say that I quickly grew to like her a lot. I became invested in her future and wished for her to find a new place with people who would treat her well and be her friends.  I love the way she stands up to Simon and the tensions between Astrid and Cobb add a little something to keep you in your toes. 


The story starts with Astrid (an art conservator) starting a new job at Sherborne Hall - an English Trust Property with its own secrets and charms. 


Flash backs are used well to set the back story and I found the style of writing flowed well. It was a relaxed book which was easy to read - a great bonus and not an easy thing to achieve. 


There are a host of characters in the book and they all have their unique charms. I particularly loved Harold and Margaret (two of the volunteers at Sherborne Hall). Their conversations had me chuckling to myself as I read and I could hear the tone in Margaret’s voice everytime she expressed her opinion on someone or something. I don’t wish to generalise but I really hope that this book is a true reflection on the lives of volunteers at heritage homes across the country. The thought of houses full of Margarets and Harold’s just make me smile. 


When Astrid discovers a body in the grounds she decides that she needs to investigate. Her boss Cressida seems only interested in preserving the reputation of The English Trust and Astrid has little faith in the local policeman. Could she be the one to crack the case? 


The plot quickly thickens as there are more deaths and accidents not to mention a fake painting and the appearance of Simon( Astrid’s husband). 


Can Astrid and her new friends solve the case and will Astrid move on to the new life that her uncle would have wanted? 

You’ll have to read the book to find out but what I will tell you is that you won’t regret it.  A perfect mix of cozy crime and romance. 


Summer in San Sabastian 

by Joy Skye





Tension, romance, stubborn determination and life changing decisions - all wrapped up in one wonderful book. Joy Skye has created an escape that you won’t want to end.


When Abigail’s relationship ends she finds herself heading to San Sebastián to stay with her Aunt May. Struggling to overcome her trust issues and her quick reactions to situations she finds herself caught up in a romance that could be heading for disaster. 


Gave Xavier has his own problems when it comes to trust and letting others in. Between them they create a perfect storm of lust, tension and heartache. 


The way that Joy Skye writes kept me reading page after page. I couldn’t stop - there was so much going on and so many layers, coupled with the depth that I felt I knew the characters I flew through this book in a day anxiously wanting to find out what would become of them. 


Both Gabe and Abi have their flaws but from the very beginning I found myself liking them and wanting them to sort themselves out. I liked the way that you saw them from each others point of view (which didn’t put either in the best light) but the narration gave me as the reader a different insight which had me screaming in my head at them - trying to tell them that they were wrong. 


I haven’t read a rom com in quite some time and this book has given me back that spark to read others. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think it is the perfect feel good read for anyone wanting to escape to somewhere else.





Comments