Young Adult Reads - my top 3

 


It is only this year that I have started reading books aimed at young adults. I have found them to be extremely well written and gripping reads. I think we should start putting a + after age categories (middle grade +, young adult +) to show that whilst that might be the lower age recommendation they really are for anyone! 

Here are three of my favourites - have you got any that you think I should read in 2022? 

Hani and Ishu’s Guide to Fake Dating by Adiba Jaigirdar 



I really enjoyed this book. 

The characters are so well written it felt as if I was there stood next to them as I was reading. I could sense the tensions between them, feel their anger and share their joy. 


The unjustness of some situations really got to me. Largely because I feel that this probably represents the reality that the LGBT+ community and also children from minority backgrounds face in everyday life. The fact that teachers would treat two children so differently that the victim was forced to play the wrong doer. 


There are important lessons in this book about friendships and standing up to what is right. Peer pressure is a huge issue for young people and this books looks closely at that and the impacts it has. 


I hope this book will serve as an inspiration for many to accept themselves for who they are and be happy within. As well as helping them see that they are not alone in their difficulties and the obstacles they face. 


Finally who doesn’t love a good romance with a happy ending. I didn’t want this book to end. I want to know more - please tell me there’s a part 2. 



You’ll be the Death of Me by Karen M McManus 



I received an advance digital copy of this book in return of an honest review.


Filled with emotion, suspense and mystery - this book was one I couldn’t put down. 


Ivy, Mateo and Cal are old friends who have drifted apart - but something brings them back together. A strange serendipity that sets about the worst day they could ever imagine. 

Their lives change before their eyes as the past catches up with them and they find themselves in the middle of a dangerous drugs ring. 


Filled with life lessons this book is a guide to taking responsibility, owning your mistakes, accepting help and realising you may have been wrong the whole time. 


I really enjoyed how the story was told through the eyes of each of the three main characters. Each account flowed easily from the next so that there was never a moment that felt disjointed but at the same time you were kept in suspense waiting for a small detail here and there to slot in to the puzzle. 


This really was brilliantly written and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 


Trigger warnings: drugs, death, mild violence 


Dead Lucky by Andreina Cordani 



This book is publishing in January and it is definitely one to pre order. 


A powerful story that is so fitting for our a time where social media has such a massive influence. 


Told through the voices of a group of online influencers - friends / enemies or caught somewhere in between. Their lives unfold infront of us. 


Flash backs to their school days keep feeding small details that bring the pieces of the mystery together until we are faced with the dramatic and somewhat shocking conclusion. 


A story filled with drama that doesn’t stop - I thoroughly enjoyed this book. 


I received an advance digital copy in return for an honest review of this book. 


Comments