The Dark Side of Christmas - Hobeck Books

 The Dark Side of Christmas 



I was extremely lucky to be sent a copy of this book by the publishers for review. Advertised as an anthology of twisted winter tales this book is full of marvellously unique short stories. Each one with its own charm and unique twist on the festive season. These were all new authors to me and I am delighted to have found so many talented authors to start reading. My ever growing TBR pile may disagree but can you ever have too many books? I don’t think so! 


Even more reason to buy this book all of the royalties are going to Streetreads - a charitable initiative that encourages reading and creative amongst the homeless in Scotland. As I was gifted a copy for review I have made my own donation to them. 


A Christmas Susan by Antony Dunford and Wendy Turbin: 

This is a story told in three parts. I took to the story instantly and could picture it playing out as I read. It was as if I were watching a tv drama unfold before my eyes. Susan is very matter of fact and I couldn’t help but feel sympathy for her. She seems to endlessly be the butt of her colleagues jokes and there was clearly more to her back story than was first revealed. 


With each of the the three parts we learn a little more and I was pleased to see that Susan was more and more embracing love and friendship in her life. 


It was one of those very sad but at the same time reassuringly happy tales and I couldn’t help but smile and feel a sense of love and Christmas joy. 


Not sure I was meant to but I read all three parts in one go and then went back to the rest of the stories in the book. I confuse too easily to read other stories in between. 



Goodbye and Cheers for all the Limbless Cold-blooded Vertebrate Animals with Gills and Fins - a Christmas Story by Rebecca Collins: 

Written as a letter this story is a confession for in action. I couldn’t help but feel a sense of sadness reading this one. The style was new to me and it had me captivated. I wasn’t sure where it would go at the end and the final paragraphs had me asking me questions. A sort of cliff hanger for your imagination to complete. 


Skating Away by Judi Daykin: 

I found this story eerie- I wouldn’t call it particularly scary, I’m not good with scary at all - there was a sense about it that made you feel something was there. The author truly managed to conjure up the presence of someone watching and waiting. At times I felt it was a menace but that is the joy of the story. The wanting to read on to find out the truth. 


Home Alone Too by Lewis Hastings: 

I really enjoyed this story - it started off with an element of suspense and I initially thought it was going to take a very different path. I’m glad it went the way it did. It turned out to be a heartfelt tale and I enjoyed the positive vibes that were there. A true message of friendship and kindness hidden in the depths of despair and judgement. 


One Out, All Out by Adrian Hobart: 

I loved this short story. It made me smile. I’m not sure what I thought was happening  when I first read but the use of names, the point of view of the characters and who they are made me smile no end. Definitely a unique story which you should read. I made me think of a poem I learnt in school about being kind to your Turkey at Christmas (I think by Benjamin Zephaniah). 



Searching for Santa by Linda Huber 

I don’t often read short stories and reading this one it struck me how talented the authors are to get so much in to only a few pages. This story had be chuckling away, worried for George, feeling sorry for Kev, worried again and relieved all in 11

pages. I liked the innocence of George and the way his inner thoughts were told. How he reasoned things in a way that only a child can. 


Christmas Eve Call Out by Lin Le Versha 

A murder which seems clear cut but when the truth is revealed it takes everyone (including me) by surprise. A murderer with a sense of entitlement that at the same time makes you feel pitty for them. This story pulled at my emotions. It felt like it was from a time gone by but yet resonated so much with today. 


Santa’s Slay Part 1: The Deserving Clause by A B Morgan 

I particularly enjoyed this story - it was very Midsummer and so well written that it played out as a mini play in my head. The characters on the whole were very likeable and you couldn’t help but feel they were justified in their actions. Enid Speight on the other hand was nothing more than an evil person masquerading as a good church goer. Definitely one of my favourites in the book and I am now keen to read more by the author. 


Double First by R.D. Nixon 

A tense opening paragraph grabs your attention in this story and after a short stop at heartache and betrayal the fast paced action and suspense  keeps coming  right until the end. 

This story also got my attention as I finished my last year of university at Plymouth and remember the then new Roland Levinsky building well. My time there was less dramatic but it still brought back fond memories. 


Payback by Brian Price 

Another story that I want to say was my favourite. I enjoyed the multiple narratives from each character and the way that the wove in to the bigger picture. There was suspense throughout and I particularly enjoyed Sally’s plans for revenge. 


Peppermint Creams on Christmas Eve by S.E. Shepherd 

This story gave me chills. I liked that it was a quick and easy read but there was an errieness about it that made me uncomfortable. I don’t usually read spooky books as I am easily scared and won’t sleep for days. This story had an element of that fear for me but it was not too much and I thoroughly enjoyed the read. I particularly liked the dual narrative running side by side in two different times. 


The Long Wait by Kerena Swan

I enjoyed this story, although I will say it was a bit too creepy for me. I don’t do well with scary things and am glad I was reading in the middle of the morning and not in bed. It was a very well written story that doesn’t give anything away until the very last lines. It is initially appears to be a sort of childish romance where both are playing silly pranks the build up to the ending is dramatic and heart stopping.  


The Disappearance of Krishna’s Eye by Mark Wightman

Brilliantly written - I love how the introduction builds the picture and background. By the time I had finished reading that I was desperate to read the story. The story itself did not disappoint and I could very well imagine it as a tv drama. 



Thank you to all of the authors and Hobeck Books for letting me escape to the Dark Side of Christmas. 


It’s not to late to get a copy and it can be enjoyed all year long. 









Comments

Post a Comment