My Best Crime and Mystery Reads of 2021

 


I love a good murder mystery and this year I’ve read some brilliant ones. Some have been intense others have been nice cosy crime that is easy to read. But I’ve loved them all and in my mind they each have their place.


I Know What You’ve Done by Dorothy Koomson 



This was such a gripping read. One of the benefits of the pandemic was everything went online which meant I was actually lucky enough to go to the launch of this book. And buying my book for the launch introduced me to the wonderful Bert’s Books (online bookshop) which has resulted in many a new book. 

I Know What You’ve Done was a very intense book but I simply couldn’t put it down. It had everything crime, passion, lies, scandals - what more could you possibly need in a book. 

There were so many twists and turns that I was constantly guessing and the ending came as a complete surprise to me. I definitely didn’t see it coming and that to me is the mark of a great book! 

Definitely one to buy and at the end of the month it’s out in paperback so why not preorder now for a new year treat. 


The Five Clues by Anthony Kessel



A year after the tragic death of her mother Edie discovers something which could change everything. 


Setting out on a hunt to uncover the truth through clues that her mother has left hidden only for her. Will Edie be able to uncover the truth about her mothers death or will it prove too dangerous?   


This is such a gripping story - filled with adventure but also the reality of grief and loss. How it effects each of us in different ways and the importance of a friend and family who will stand by you no matter what. 


Edie is taken on a journey of self discovery as she investigates the truth - and at the end of it all is a realisation that makes her and her family stronger. 


This book was one I found hard to put down - I was always looking for that extra 5 minutes to read just a little bit more.

I would highly recommend this book to readers age 11+. 


Trigger warnings: loss of family, murder, war. 


A Cornish Christmas Murder by Ffiona Leitch 



I received an early digital copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review. 


A cosy crime book crossed with romance and Christmas - what more could you want from a book. This book was an easy read that I thoroughly enjoyed. Light hearted but with twists and turns that kept me guessing - I never quite worked out the whole solution before it was revealed - the sign of a good mystery. 


Jodie and her group find themselves trapped in a Manor House by the snow. When random strangers start turning up you just know that there is going to be trouble. And when one of the guests ends up dead well - who else could possibly investigate? 


I haven’t read the previous books in this series (although I will be getting them so that I can) this didn’t stop me enjoying this story one bit. Whilst I’m sure there may be some references they were not so much that you felt you had missed out anything important. 


Definitely a book for the cold winter months - curl up warm and escape to Cornwall! 


The Appeal by Janice Hallett 



This book was simply a work of genius. Told through the correspondence (emails, text messages etc) of the characters and inter woven with the thoughts and observations of a team of legal representatives. 


There is no other way to describe it that it drew me in and I was in all honesty hooked. I couldn’t put it down. I kept guessing who it was them a new message would be read and I’d question my theory. That guessing kept going right up to the end. 


You do need to think to read this book but it is definitely high up on my list of recommendations! 


The Dinner Lady Detectives by Hannah Hendy



I received and advance digital copy of this book in return for an honest review. 


Cosy crime at its best. I loved this book - it was an enjoyable and easy read. 


Margery and Clementine are a perfect pair. They balance each other throughout the story and you can’t help but enjoy their company. 


When their supervisor tragically dies at work they are convinced that something is not what they are being told. And so in a stubborn and somewhat reckless way Margery and Clem set out to investigate. 


Suspecting many people along the way and encountering a range of near death moments can they find the truth before they loose their jobs or their lives?


Perfect for anyone who enjoys cosy crime - already looking forward to the next instalment.


The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman



I had heard very mixed reviews about this book so was unsure when I bought it what to expect. I was however pleasantly surprised. Much of the criticism I. had read was about it being cosy crime but I actually really enjoy a good cozy crime so this was in fact right up my alley.  


I found the characters to be very likeable and very real. I could picture them in my mind as I read and it brought back memories of being with my grandparents in their sheltered housing as a child (not the murder part but the people) and it felt good. 


There were many crimes and many twists in this book and they all built around each other which made for an interesting and quite fast paced read. I was definitely looking forward to the next in the series and found myself preordering as soon as I could. It didn’t disappoint and I would definitely recommend it. 



Murder at the House on the Hill by Victoria Walters



This was a refreshing read and one that kept me guessing. Nancy runs a bookshop with her grandmother but things take a rather interesting turn when they are suddenly invited to an engagement party at the Manor House. 


This book is not just a murder mystery. Yes there is a murder and Nancy is determined to solve it but it also brings in other crimes from long ago including the death of Nancy’s own father in a mysterious car accident. 


Add in a bit of a love interest and this book has everything you need for a great read on a cold winter night. 


The added promise of a new mystery right at the end has got me eagerly awaiting a second book in this series. 


You’ll be the Death of Me by Karen M McManus



I received an advance digital copy of this book in return of an honest review.


Filled with emotion, suspense and mystery - this book was one I couldn’t put down. 


Ivy, Mateo and Cal are old friends who have drifted apart - but something brings them back together. A strange serendipity that sets about the worst day they could ever imagine. 

Their lives change before their eyes as the past catches up with them and they find themselves in the middle of a dangerous drugs ring. 


Filled with life lessons this book is a guide to taking responsibility, owning your mistakes, accepting help and realising you may have been wrong the whole time. 


I really enjoyed how the story was told through the eyes of each of the three main characters. Each account flowed easily from the next so that there was never a moment that felt disjointed but at the same time you were kept in suspense waiting for a small detail here and there to slot in to the puzzle. 


This really was brilliantly written and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have not read any of Karen’s other books but they are now firmly on my wish list. 


Trigger warnings: drugs, death, mild violence 






 








Comments